Thursday, August 24, 2006

Never Give Up

My poor dad. He's been so conditioned to expect failure from the Mets over the years that he actually turned off the TV the other night after Albert Pujols hit that grand slam that put the Cards ahead 7-1 in the fourth. I kept watching, and I'm glad I did. I have to say, that was by far the most entertaining baseball game I've watched all year. It had everything - great pitching, great hitting, great fielding. And of course, a great comeback that was punctuated by that Beltran Bomb in the bottom of the ninth.

This isn't my daddy's New York Mets. If anyone watched (or was fortunate enough to attend) the '86 celebration on Saturday, you saw, or remembered, the bravado, confidence, and swagger of a team that just *knew* they were destined to win it all. I think if Whitey Herzog was watching either of the Mets/Cards games these last two nights, he might echo his sentiments of 1986: "No one's catching those SOBs." Damn right, Whitey.

****************

I'll be posting follow ups to my previous entry re: the baseball cards I bought. I was able to go through them all, and while I didn't find that Griffey Jr. rookie card, I did find a lot of keepers. One of them happend to be a Jeter rookie card. But my favorite thing about the collection is that it turned out to have quite a number of Roger McDowell cards from the 80's and 90's. And every one of them is hysterically funny. I'll be scanning them in and posting about them soon.

Also, I'm obviously tremendously relieved to hear the good news about Glavine, as are all Mets fans I'm sure. It looks like this pitching staff is what we'll have going into the post season. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Brian Bannister comes off the DL looking as good as he did before he pulled that hammy. I'm also suspecting that there's more to Cliffy's injury(s) than the Mets are letting on. It's one thing to add Shawn Greene (which I'm fine with because we didn't give anything of significance up to get him) but I also heard a rumor on SI.com about Moises Alou. What the hell is going on? I am the only person that has 100% confidence in Endy Chavez as an everyday player?

That's all for today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home