Tuesday, June 13, 2006

A Little Shout Out To Sal & His Pals

Ok, so I know I don't write much here anymore, which is a shame because the Mets are awesome. Which might actually be the reason I don't write anymore. We keep winning, and I find I have nothing to bitch about. Hmmm. Wonder what Dr. Melfi would think about that.

Anyway, I was enjoying the game tonight, and the little shout out to Sal's Pals by the folks at SNY. And I just wanted to add my two cents. Yeah, I know the guy is a Philly. And before that, I think he was briefly an Oriole, and before that he played for the (gulp) Yanks. Actually, it was the Clippers, but he was still in pinstripes. The guy's numbers are honestly pretty unremarkable. But he's a journeyman player... he's Crash Davis, he's playing mostly for the love, and probably the paycheck doesn't suck either. But let's face it - he ain't exactly heading for the Hall of Fame.


So the reason why I'm posting this is because I met him very briefly a couple of years ago. My nephew from NJ sent me Flat Stanley, and one of the things I did with Stanley was take him to a Clippers game. We got there early to see if we could get a picture of some of the guys with Flat Stanley. After batting practice, only one guy stuck around long enough to let us get a picture. That guy was Sal Fasano. Here's the picture I sent to my nephew Tommy of Sal and Flat Stanley (taken before Sal's now famous Fu Man Chu stache). Sal's a mensch.

And, just to be sure I bitch about something... I have to be honest, I'm not all that happy about the Kaz Matsui trade. I know, I know, I was calling for his execution last season. But this year, it really did seem like he was starting to click. He was coming through in clutch situations. Jose Valentin really is playing great, but I keep waiting for him to wake up one day and realize he's Jose Valentin, you know?

And that's all I have today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home