Sunday, March 12, 2006

Ok, I Was Wrong

I have to admit that I was wrong. Before I get to the business of discussing our wonderful Met prospects (Anderson Hernandez, welcome to 2B!) I need to backpedal off my cranky rants re: the WBC. I said I wouldn't watch, but I did. And you know what? I'm hooked.

First, I'll admit it was just plain weird to be rooting for Chipper Jones. But then, it was kind of cool to see him jumping around the field after we beat Japan with A-Rod and Jeter (despite the bullsh*t call that screwed Japan out of the lead run in the 8th). Weird, but cool. Honestly, what really won me over was the enthusiasm of the players. Those guys are *really* into it. They feel so much pride wearing the uniform and playing for their respective countries. They're doing it for the love. And I can't help but be won over by that. And who knows, maybe the Olympic spirit was still in me when the WBC started. Either way, I'm loving it. And you know what? I'm proud to see so many NY Mets on the various WBC rosters. So, we're getting shellacked in all our preseason games, who cares? The double and triple A kids get more playing time against big leagers. Good for them, too.

I guess when it comes down to it, guys have to warm up and get ready for the season. Whether they do it playing in the WBC every four years (or whatever it is) or in spring training, what's the difference? They're having fun, and they're getting psyched up for the regular season. And that's got to be good for baseball no matter how you look at it.

Go Mets! Go USA!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home