Friday, June 24, 2005

The Trading Block

SI.com posts a who's who on the MLB trading block in the coming weeks. My thoughts on each candidate as they pertain to the Mets.

Danys Baez: I just watched him pitch effectively against the Yanks during their mostly disastrous series against the D'Rays. This kid has good stuff, and good numbers. Considering pitching is our primary need right now, I'm buying.

Miguel Batista: Buying him too, but I don't think the Jays will be selling.

Mike Cameron: NOT selling. He's having a great year, he's an offensive spark, and his veteran presence is critical to this young team. I say keep him, Omar.

Roger Clemens: Clemens and Piazza in the same dugout? Not interested.

Carl Everett: Definitely NOT interested.

Tom Gordon: Yes, I am buying Flash. But not for Mike Cameron. No way. Robinson Cano, maybe, but I can't see the Yanks letting that kid go.

Todd Helton: I am one fan who isn't on the "we need a new firstbaseman" bandwagon. Helton is just too expensive for my blood, and lord knows the Rockies will strip any team who wants him of any and all valueable players they might have. I'm just not willing to pay that price. If the Rockies are going to deal him, which I don't think they will, he's going to cost way more than the 100+ million in salary he's owed. I'll pass.

Aubrey Huff: No thanks. We have three excellent outfielders. I like the chemistry we've got going on with Beltran, Floyd, and Cameron. Don't need Huff.

Austin Kearns: Might be cheap enough to get from the Reds, but I'd still rather spend money on pitching or a decent 2B.

Joe Kennedy: I don't know. That's a gamble. Who's to say he'll stop stinking when he leaves Coors field? I'm inclined to pass.

Mark Kotsay: Don't need him. As I've said, I like our outfield just the way it is.

Jose Mesa: Head case. I'll pass.

Lyle Overbay: Ok, it's hard to pass up this guy, as much as I love Dougie. I don't want to overpay for him though. Considering how popular he is in Milwaukee, I'm kind of surprised they'd deal him. I'm keeping an open mind though.

Jay Payton: Been there. Done that. Next!

Willie Mo Pena: Why are the Reds having a fire sale? Are they trying to get rid of all their young talent? Jeez. Anyway, yet another outfielder we don't need.

Mark Redman: Veteran lefty starter? Yes please!

Jason Schmidt: He's still got enough mustard on those fastballs to chew up batters and win games. I'll take it!

Frank Thomas: A DH? We're in the National League. Next!

Preston Wilson: Mookie's nephew makes a lot more $$$ than I would have expected. No thanks.

Barry Zito: YES! YES! YES!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home