Tuesday, June 21, 2005

I Never Gave Up On You Doug!

Ok, I am officially declaring Doug Mientkiewicz's slup OVER. Tonight, he went two for four with a home run (the "game changing play" no less) and a beautiful pick at first for the final out, ending the game with the Phils threatening in the bottom of the ninth.

Of course, Doug did not win the game singlehandedly; Carlos, Cliffy, and Jose did their fair share of damage with the bats, as well as the pinch hitting Brian Daubach. It may not have been Kris Benson's best game on the mound (though he did manage to raise his BA to.294 with yet another hit). It was just a wonderful game to watch. Our guys were firing on all cylinders.

Besides declaring my utter joy at having the privilege to watch such an awesome game, and doing several happy dances for Dougie, I'd also like to send a message out to Omar: Please sign Billy Wagner. Pretty please? With sugar on top? I know, we probably wont get a crack at him until after the season's over, what with the Phils playing as well as they are. Having a one-two punch (Urbina-Wagner) like that is going to serve them well down the strech. But for next year: Sign Billy. Please.

Oh, and Rick Down? You're still not entirely off my list. This sudden rash of hitting is going to have to continue for some time before I get off your case. As for my readers (who knew I had so many?) - most seem to favor promoting Hojo from Norfolk rather than keep you around, though almost as many (at least as I write this) would rather see Keith Hernandez take your job.

Finally, one other note. Can someone talk to Dave Wright about the tantrums? It's one thing to play with fire and passion; it's quite another to act like a brat when things don't go your way, you know?

That's all. Great game, boys!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home