Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Checking Out The Norfolk Tides

Well, the Tides were in town over the weekend, so last night (Monday) I decided to take in a game. Hey, Minor League ball is cheap entertainment, and when combined with the Clippers "Dime A Dog Night" - yes, that's hot dogs for 10 cents apiece, well you just can't go wrong.

I made sure I got seats as close to the Tides dugout as I could. Armed with two cameras and all the Mets gear I could stand to wear in 95 degree heat, my trusted yet temperamental scorekeeper Mary kept score while I cheered and clicked away. To check out some of the photos I took from the fourth row, go to my Flickr photo album. [The "badge" is over on the right, just before the poll. You can click on any photo, or anywhere on it to view the photos in my photostream. I may eventually move it down on the sidebar. If you have a problem seeing it, you may need to install a Flash plugin]. I'm also hoping to go to another Clippers/Tides game in August, and get better pictures then.

So, here are some random observations about the game. For one, Tides relief pitching is a heck of a lot worse than the Mets, as evidenced by the 7th inning grand slam off of McGinley that put the Clippers ahead to stay.

Another thing is that ballplayers are a lot younger looking in person (Bubba Crosby looks to be about 12, far as I can tell) and generally much better looking in person too. Eric Valent, for example. A very good-looking man. Which brings me to another observation.

Eric Valent should be playing in the show, period. He's too good for AAA. He really is. I hope for his sake, if the Mets can't use him, that they send him to a team that can. I also noticed that Eric was playing first, which made me wonder if the Mets plan to call him back if Daubach doesn't work out. He'll be getting a good workout there, because Bazak at SS and Nye at 3B have some throwing issues.

Anyway, Valent went two for three with a double, an RBI, a walk and a run scored.

I was also very impressed with Anderson Hernandez. He made an awesome diving play at second, and his quickness, combined with that of Chris Bazak at SS, made for a sweet double play. He ended up going two for five with a stolen base and two runs scored.

Another general AAA observation: if you can throw a curve ball, you wont last in AAA - you'll make the bigs immediately. I swear, it was one 85-88 mph fastball after another, from every pitcher we saw (there were six in all). It's not like this is the first AAA game I've been to - I've been living in the Columbus area and going to games for years. I guess I just never paid such close attention before. And let me tell you - paying close attention at a Clippers game requires some serious attention-paying skills, especially when you've got Beavis, Butthead, and their retarded Appalachian cousins sitting directly behind you. No wonder Giambi refused when the Yankees tried to send him down to that hellhole.

Anyway, I've got to get back to the Mets/Phils game. We're winning!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home