Monday, May 16, 2005

Weighing in on the Mets Roster Choices

Matt Cerrone over at Metsblog has a pretty good thread about the Mets roster going on, so I'm not going to reinvent the wheel here. I'm just going to add my two cents. I'd like to see the Mets hang on to Strickland. He might not be ready, but I'd still rather take my chances with him in the bullpen over Manny Aybar. I also think it's time to send Zambrano down to Norfolk. Just because you overpaid for a guy doesn't mean you keep him in the rotation if he can't get his control issues worked out. I'd also send Diaz down for now, to make room for another pitcher. We have Cameron, and he's doing a great job. We also have Valent as a spare outfielder, and Woodward can play out there if we need him to.

I know I've said this before, but we need Seo back in the rotation. Sending a guy who has pitched well for you down to the minors is a slap in the face. On the other hand, I'm not sure I understand why turning a starter into a reliever or closer is considered a demotion. I think that's just underestimating the importance of relievers, especially on a team where most of the starting rotation can't seem to get through seven innings. Having said that, I don't mind at all if Aaron Heilman goes to the bullpen. He'd be great in relief, or even as a sometime closer.

So, my ideal would be this: Martinez, Glavine, Benson, Seo, Ishii in the starting rotation. Heilman, Bell, Strickland, Hernandez, DeJean, Ring, and Looper in the bullpen. Yes, that's twelve pitchers. Hey, if the Braves can do it, why can't we?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home