Friday, May 06, 2005

Miller Park: Mikey Likes It!

The Mets Take Game One From the Brewers and a Very Whiny Jeff Jenkins

I was not suprised to see Mike Cameron continuing to look relaxed at the plate, going two for four. I was not suprised that Doug Mientkiewicz was once again stellar at first, despite his continuing troubles with both the bat and his hair.

I was suprised to see Victor Zambrano pitch a decent game, and help himself out with two hits in the process.

Other highlights: David Wright had a home run, and Jose Reyes collected his third walk of the season. And of course, there was Mike Piazza, player of the game. Mike airmailed two homers into the depths of Miller Park in his first two at bats. This of course begs the question: will he play tomorrow? He's swinging a hot bat. But Pedro is pitching so I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Lowlights: Brewer Jeff Jenkins constantly whined at the ump over his strike zone. I kept waiting for him to get booted, but no such luck. Cliff Floyd's 20 game hitting streak ended. And of course, the bullpen was at it again. Although 7-4 sounds like a handy win, it certainly felt a lot closer to Met fans watching the game. The bullpen loaded the bases in the bottom of the ninth, and aggravated my ulcer in the process. I think Looper got a save out of the deal, though I just don't think it's fair for him to get a save when he's saving the game from his own bullpen. I will give Heath Bell credit for three very good innings of relief. I think leaving him in there for the fourth was stretching his arm a little too much.

All in all, it was a very Mets-like win. I'll take it.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please, pretty please, with sugar on top, can I reprint some of the great original content, opinions, thoughts, and ideas expressed on this site?

11:32 AM  
Blogger curlygc said...

No, Steinbrenner, you can't. Your team sucks and it'd be a waste of my incredible writing talent. So stop asking.

12:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home