Friday, May 27, 2005

Mets Take First Two of Four From Fish

Some observations on the series so far:

Ok, I'm glad we took these first two games, because I think of all four, these first two matchups of Benson/Castillo & Martinez/Moehler were much stronger for us than the last two will likely be (Ishii/Willis, Glavine/Beckett). So at the very worst, we've split the series. At best, we may have a shot against Beckett Sunday. But I'm not holding my breath.

Don't even get me started on Willis. I don't think MLB Extra Innings is showing the game tomorrow, which is ok by me. I'd prefer a less painful way to spend my Memorial Day Saturday anyway.

What's really been bugging me lately though is seeing Piazza batting ahead of Wright. There's no reason for one of our hottest hitters to be batting sixth. The number of runners that Piazza has left stranded, especially in scoring position, is starting to make me sick. I keep waiting for him to snap out of it, but I noticed tonight that I've officially lost hope. When Mike came up in the 4th with two outs and Cliffy on second, I immediately thought: well, this rally is over. Next pitch he grounded out, and I was not surprised. Which sucks.

As for the Cameron/Reyes lineup swap that's been discussed in the blogworld and by Willie himself: I think it's a good idea. Jose is just too impatient, and too streaky. Plus, Matt over at Metsblog lists some hitting stats for Cammy that would suggest he'd be great in the leadoff spot, at least for now.

As usual, a stellar pitching performance by Pedro, and I'm glad to see him get the win.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home