Tuesday, May 24, 2005

A Letter To Doug Mientkiewicz

Dear Doug:

I know things have been very rough for you here in New York. But I want to let you know that there are many fans out there who still believe in you, and know that you will come out of this slump.

You seem like the kind of guy who wears his heart and emotions on his sleeve. Whatever happens to be in your head at any given time comes right out of your mouth. So it's understandable that after the game last night, you were really hard on yourself.

Doug, you don't suck. You know that. We know that. Getting down on yourself like you do is not going to help you out of that slump. All it does is reinforce the negative, and before you know it you've become a self-fulfilling prophecy of suck.

The Mets need your glove right now a lot more than your bat. Just keep making those incredible plays at first. As for your bat, I think you need to reach out. When I have a huge problem, I talk to everybody whose opinion matters to me about what to do. Don't be proud. As an aside, have you talked to Keith Hernandez? I bet he might be able to see something askew in your mechanics. You also might want to try some way of centering yourself before a game. Meditation, or yoga.

Hang in there, Doug. No matter how many insensitive idiots there are screaming "you suck" in your face, there are a whole lot more cheering for you in the stands and at home.

Sincerely,
Gail Carelli

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gail, you're awesome! She's right Doug, and I'm one of the many fans right behind her. I know you'll get the bat back on track soon. LET'S GO METS!!!!!

2:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a wonderful post Gail. Hope you're planning on sending it to Doug.

2:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home