Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Don't Wake Me Up Just Yet

Because I am going to have the most wonderful Mets dream right now. No, I'm not going to dream about Zambrano pitching no-hitters and Minky going on an A-Rod-like home run tear. I'm going to be slightly (but only slightly) more realistic than that.

In my dream, the Mets make some tough but necessary decisions about the future of the team. In my dream, they deal Mike Piazza before his contract is up, so that they can maybe get something for him. Given his lackluster season so far, I don't know what, exactly, but there's got to be an AL team out there that needs a veteran catcher who can be a backup, or a DH, whatever. (ahem, hello Mr. Bavasi?) Anyway.

In my dreamworld, the Mets do what they have to to pick up Jarrod Washburn (RHP) and AJ Burnett (LHP). And maybe we even manage to pick up Billy Wagner. I know, a lot of people like Braden Looper. I'm not a fan. Sorry, I just don't trust the guy.

On that note, I am willing to deal Looper, Cairo, Cameron, Piazza, and even Jae Seo. And if there's a chance we could get Todd Helton, I'd let go of Minky too. I love that man, but I love winning MORE. I'd also be happy to just lose Zambrano, Glavine, Koo, and Aybar.

My dreamy rotation would look something like this: Martinez, Washburn, Burnett, Benson, Trachsel/Heilman. I'd hang on to Bell, Hernandez, and maybe even DeJean, and try to pick up another middle reliever.

My outfield would be Floyd-Beltran-Diaz (Woodward); infield would be Wright, Reyes, Matsui (yeah, I'm still hanging on to hope there - but we do still have Keppinger just in case), and Helton or Minky. At catcher, I'd be happy with Ramon Hernandez or Bengie Molina - they're both free agents after this season.

Yeah, I'm dreaming. But one advantage of being a Mets fan is the team's deep pockets and willingness to spend money in order to win. I think Omar proved that during the offseason.

I'd been reticent about posting something like this, because I know I'll probably change my mind about who I think we should keep/trade/sign a hundred times by the end of the week. So that's why it's just a dream. I'll have another one tomorrow.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mike Overall said...

You do realize only five games seperate first place from last place in the NL east right? Which means it's anyone's division. Every year someone says "Braves are done" but it hasn't happened yet. Ever notice when a pitcher leaves the Braves he automatically sucks? i.e. Millwood, Glavine, Ortiz, Wright, etc...something to be said for not fixing it when it ain't broke, right? Check my blog to see who I root for.

http://mikeoverall.blogspot.com

11:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home